Sunday, December 7, 2008

Pure hell starts tomorrow.

As of tomorrow morning I am on a purely liquid diet, clear liquids to be exact. I'm on this diet for a week straight then I'm having surgery.

I decided to post about this because it's a huge part of my life right now and will be forever. I know a lot of people disagree with what I'm doing and it can be somewhat controversial but I am doing it and I will not be ashamed of it.

So, what exactly am I having done?

I'm having the Lap Band procedure.

I've battled with my weight my whole life and I know when I need help, so I asked for help and got it. In the beginning I wasn't going to tell anyone about it, J and my husband would be the only people that knew. I was ashamed that I needed to do this to lose weight, that I wasn't strong enough to lose it on my own. I realized though that this is going to be a part of me and I can't be ashamed of myself.

I had thought about having Lap Band done a while back but I wasn't eligible for it because my BMI wasn't high enough so I pretty much forgot about it. I tried Weight Watchers instead to help me lose the weight. My success with Weight Watchers was short lived because I wasn't able to stick with the plan and so I went to my doctor.

My doctor visit turned out to have some very bad news for me, my blood pressure was high, very high and he wanted to monitor me more closely. Within a month I was put on blood pressure medicine, the same kind my mother was on. At the same time though my mom was in the hospital suffering from multiple complications from a procedure that was done on her heart. I was scared for her and I was scared for myself, 26 is too young to be having these problems and I didn't want to end up like her.

My high blood pressure actually made me a candidate for Lap Band now and so I decided to pursue it. So, a week from tomorrow begins a new chapter in my life, a new way of eating and a new resolve to make this time the time that works.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations! You have nothing to be ashamed of, you're making the right choice for you, and for your health.

Did I mention I'm glad you're back? :)

BlueTissueBox

Tara R. said...

You're BACK!! Happy Dance!

Good luck darlin'! My niece had surgery in October, and has already started losing weight. You do what you need to do. It's your body, your health... We've got your back.

Good to see you again.

Unknown said...

You are in charge and in control of your life and your health!! You don't have to answer to anyone else!! And is it like, so wrong that I am going to want progress pictures?? Because I do...

XX, and I am so glad you are back!

David said...

You are in a place that is good right now and will get better. you are independent of the opinion of others about what you do with your body. It is your decision and I wish you the best wishes with it.

Gin said...

You're back! YAY!

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. Ultimately, it is up to you and your doctors to decide what is best for your health and well-being - Eff the haters. ;)

Jennifer said...

this is something you shouldn't be ashamed of... you are taking control and doing something to better your life and make sure youa re healthy enough to be around for those beautiful kids of yours. really.

i wish you lots of success, although i'm sure you'll do just fine. and i can't wait to hear all about how you are doing with it.

a week of clear liquids SUCKS like nobody's business... you are definitely THE WOMAN if you can do that... b/c i know i couldn't.

i'll be thinking of you. :)

xoxoxo

PS is there a way that I can get a hold of J to get permission to read her blog... I read it often and found out she has it closed to outsiders. thanks. xoxoxo

Tricia said...

Ashamed? Girl, NEVER be ashamed that you are making a decision that will help you achieve your goals for your health.

Keep me posted as to how it goes...

And? Does this screw up your trip to Houston? Cause I was kind of looking forward to that.

And J? I know you are reading this...what the hell is with the private thing????

Allie said...

Thanks for all the kind words.

Trish, no worries, we will still be going to Houston and there is no way you and Kenny are getting out of going out with us. Luis is really looking forward to it, just don't expect me to eat much.

As for those of you asking about the privatization of J's blog, don't worry, no one has permission to view it but her (no, not even me) but I'll definitely announce when she's back.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I hope the surgery goes well!

That Chick Over There said...

I hope all goes well for you honey.

I see WLS as just another way to lose weight. I would never EVER judge someone's choice on how to lose weight because I know how hard it is. Believe me. Good for you for doing what is right for you.

XOXO!